2017 Workshop Schedule
The release of my 2017 workshop schedule is a bit behind schedule. I usually try to announce the workshops in April, but having a one-year-old has certainly thrown wrenches into my gear works. Without further ado, here’s the 2017 schedule of workshops:
2017 PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS
- February 3 to 5 — Lake Superior Winter Photo Workshop
- February 17 to 19 — Lake Superior Winter Photo Workshop
- April 6 to 9 — Spring in the Great Smoky Mountains Photo Workshop — NEW
- April 22-23 — Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge Photography Workshop
- April 28-30 — Spring Waterfall Photography Workshop
- TBD — Spring in Theodore Roosevelt National Park Photography Workshop
- TBD — Badlands and the Black Hills Photography Workshop
- June 16 to 18 — North Shore Wildflower Photography Workshop
- June 22 to 25 — Milky Way Photography Workshop – NEW
- July 14 to 16 — Along the Mississippi in Northeastern Iowa Photography Workshop — NEW
- July 19 to 23 — Night Skies of the Gunflint Trail — NEW 5-day format
- August 16 to 20th — Northern Night Skies: Night Photography Workshop
- September 6 to 10 — Grand Teton National Park Photography Workshop
- September 27 to October 1 — North Shore of Lake Superior Fall Photography Workshop
- October 19 to 22 — Great Smoky Mountains National Park Fall Photography Workshop
- November 3 to 5 — Gales of November Photography Workshop
- November 11-12 — Achieve Your Vision: Processing Photos in the Digital Darkroom
- December 1 to 3 — Badlands National Park Photography Workshop
There are a few quirks with this list.
- I’m going to run either the Spring in Theodore Roosevelt National Park Photography Workshop or the Badlands and Black Hills Photography Workshop, but not both. If you have a preference, please, let me know. Regardless of which one I run it will happen the week before Memorial Day Weekend. In 2018, that workshop will be replaced with the Go Western Nebraska Photo Workshop that I’ve been working on scouting for the past couple of years. Then they will alternate every three years.
- The June 22 to 25th is tentatively set for the North Shore of Lake Superior, but I may change the location at the end of June. I may move it out of Minnesota. I won’t open registration on that one until I know for sure.
New Photo Workshops
There are a few format changes and new workshops. The format changes include adding a day to the Fall in the Great Smoky Mountains Photography Workshop and changing the Night Skies of the Gunflint Trail into a five day workshop vs. a three day workshop.
New workshops include Spring in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Along the Mississippi in Northeastern Iowa Photography Workshop. Both offer great photographic opportunities. I know that everyone who has gone to the Smokies in the spring is blown away by the wildflowers (there’s nothing like it in Minnesota or the Midwest) and the streams are unreal. I’m looking forward to offering another workshop at my old stomping grounds in Iowa. Northeastern Iowa is in the driftless zone, where the glaciers didn’t make everything flat. It’s bluff country over the Mississippi River.
We (John Gregor and I — also described by a participant as the comedy team of photography workshops) are working on one more workshop that isn’t on the list yet, but it’ll be in the Chicago area.
I’m also changing the registration. In past years, I opened up registration in November, but this year I’m opening up registration for all the 2017 workshops in the first two weeks of June. I don’t have an exact date. Each will open as I’m able to find the time to update the website. I’m shooting for the 3rd for the majority of the workshops, but will be finished by the 10th for every workshop (with the exception being the aforementioned Milky Way workshop and the Achieve Your Vision workshop — those will open later).
In past years, several workshops also had a commitment fee paid at registration, a deposit due in January and the final payment due 60 days before the workshop. That was too complicated. This year, it’s one deposit and one final payment. Deposits are paid this year at registration and final payments are due in 60 days before the workshop (except for the Winter Workshops which are due in January).
Pictures from Workshop Locations
And a few pretty pictures from some of the workshop locations. Click the thumb to see it larger.
I hope to see you on a workshop in 2017. In the meantime, check out the spaces that I have remaining on my 2016 workshops.